The Squatting Monkey Blog

The Squatting Monkey Blog
Now featuring articles from Frederica Bimmel!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Draft Results and Mock Analysis

Now I am assured that I will get to start a game!  Right!  Right?...

I know that mock draft writers can never forecast trades (accurately) so there is a need for leeway, but with that in mind let’s take a look at the outcome.

1.) Colts - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2.) Redskins - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
3.) Browns - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
4.) Vikings - Matt Kahlil, OT, USC

No surprises here.

5.) Jaguars - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

Everyone has been stroking the Rams for trading down and hording second rounders and future first rounders, but the drop off in talent from the first round to the second round is notable.  I understand that the Rams need an infusion of talent at nearly every position, so trading down was an ideal strategy for maximizing their number of picks, but unless players like Brian Quick, Janoris Jenkins and Chris Givens develop into starters quickly they are destined for another top 10 selection.

6.) Cowboys - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

Big time credit to Jerry Jones for keeping his eye on the prize.  Their secondary has seen a serious infusion of talent and Claiborne is an ideal complement to the Cowboys explosive offense.  Hopefully their renewed secondary will help take some of the pressure off of “Choke’l Me Romo.”  ( I was trying to do a “Tickle Me Elmo reference, but it failed…but I kept it…because I don’t have an editor…)

7.) Buccaneers - Mark Barron, SS, Alabama

I just didn’t see him going this high.  I knew something was up when he starting cracking the top 10 in mocks only days before the draft, but I just couldn’t justify mocking him to any of the teams.  He better be as good as he is being billed since only a handful of safeties have ever gone so high.

8.) Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
9.) Panthers - Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College

I know that Beason is hurt, but after letting Dan Conner hit free agency without so much as a single report about them trying to retain him that I figured that they were comfortable with their linebackers.  Perhaps they decided to say to hell with positional draft value and to choose the best player on the board.  Keuchly may be a tackle machine, but he is going to wear out quickly behind the Panther awful front four.

10.)   Bills – Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

He has been mocked into the top 10 for a while, so it’s only a surprise choice to me.  I cannot argue with beefing up their secondary, but I can argue that he is a player who has seen his draft stock rise predominantly due to his combine performance.  I like Chan Gailey so I won’t say this is a bad pick, but I will reserve my right to say that I have my doubts.

11.)   Chiefs - Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis
12.)   Eagles – Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State

I got the Poe pick right.  It just made too much sense and Pioli’s tendency to fall in love with talented defensive linemen made this an easy one.  For those critical of his “inconsistency,” please remember that many defensive lineman have gotten the same criticism and gone on to be superstars (see Haloti Ngata).  If the Eagle’s were picking 12th I would have mocked them Cox; their love affair with him has been a poorly kept secret over the past month.

13.)   Cardinals - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

When the Cardinals went to pick I said aloud to my friends, “Michael Floyd.”  Goodell goes, “Michael Floyd.”  I go, “He’s Larry Fitzgerald,” and then the next 60 seconds were highlights of Floyd making one handed catches.  Great pick and great news for Kevin Kolb.  

14.)   Rams – Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
15.)   Seahawks - Bruce Irvin, LB, WVU

I never fathomed that Irvin would cracked the first round let alone the top 15.  The moment I read about his jail stint I figured that he was automatically off people’s draft boards, chalk me up to being biased I guess.  I figured that you would have to at least START in a college game to get drafted in the first round.  I was dead wrong.  Just like my grandpa always said, time and Pete Carroll makes fools of us all.

16.)   Jets - Quentin Coples, DE, North Carolina

I was 50-50 on actually becoming a Jet fan due to Tebows exodus from Denver, but after they picked Coples I am sold.  Draft analysts consistently are being heard saying that he lacks a consistency and motivation.  Well, if I was a likely first round pick I would pussyfoot my way through my senior year too.  If you are going to give Quinton grief about playing not to get hurt, then please be equitable in your stupidity and give every NFL player that skips out on practices and camp because they are in a career year the same attitude and criticism.  In 2012, that list includes Wes Welker, Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace and Ray Rice.

17.)   Bengals - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
18.)   Chargers - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
19.)   Bears - Shea McClellin, LB, Boise State

I have nothing against the player and nothing against McClellin, it just seems unusual.  Of all the areas that the Bears could address and all the pass rushers available, going with an undersized defensive lineman that some ticketed for linebacker just seems like an odd choice.

20.)   Titans - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor

What a great pick.  The Titans are a better team than they player last year and Wright adds a dynamic in the slot and in the backfield that the Titans haven’t had for quite a while.  He is my favorite receiver to break out his rookie year, Percy Harvin-style.

21.)   Patriots - Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
22.)   Browns - Brandon Weeden

Just when I am starting the like the Browns, they make me hate them all over again.  Can you tell me who was going to pick or trade up to get him before the Browns picked at 37?  Perhaps the Buccaneers, but they have never been connected to him and seem contented with Freeman.  The Cardinals?  On what planet would they want another mid-level starter to get killed behind their horrendous o-line?  The Chief were a possibility, but they would have had to give up a majority of their draft to move up the eight picks needed.  If Weeden does anything but come out of the gate and elevate the team in the brutal AFC North, they are dead to me.  And they deserve to lose.

23.)   Lions - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
24.)   Steelers - David DeCastro, G, Standford

Just like his former teammate Bryan Bulaga, he saw an unnecessary draft day tumble and I think the Lions got a good one in him.  How DeCastro fell to the Steelers at 24th is mind boggling.  The same year that the Eagles gave Evan Mathis 25m for five years and the Bucs gave Carl Nicks 47.5m for five years; DeCastro, who has just as much talent and potential, will see a contract worth a third of those free agents.  I was the only one mocking an offensive lineman to the Steelers because I live in Pittsburgh and cannot help but be bombarded with constant Steelers news.  Word is that ownership wants to keep Big Ben healthy enough to finish out his contract, so out goes Arians, in comes Haley and the rush heavy offense will return to the Steelers.

25.)   Texans - Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

Another defensive player.  What a shocker.  I’m never mocking them an offensive player ever again.

26.)   Patriots - Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
27.)   Bengals - Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin

DeCastro is better than Kevin Zeitler and Brandon Thompson.  This was a misstep by the Bengals.

28.)   Packers - Nick Perry, DE, USC

I had him here originally, but figured that the Patriots would be looking to add a pass rusher so I moved McClellin into this spot.  I keep forgetting that the Patriots don’t really draft elite college pass rushers; they take versatile rugby players and make them into pass rushers.

29.)   Vikings - Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame
30.)   49ers - AJ Jenkins, WR, Illinois

This one hurts my head.  Jenkins elite speed aside, he is nothing special and an absolute reach in the first round.  I will give the ‘9ers credit for being optimistic.  Randy Moss, Ted Ginn, Mario Manningham and now Jenkins, all deep threats, will be great targets for Alex Smith noodle arm...

31.)   Buccaneers - Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
32.)   Giants - David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

Some runningbacks drafted in the first round!  How refreshing.  Martin reminds me of a li’l Jonathan Stewart and Wilson does have some of that Barry Sanders body control to him.  Both are great picks, just earlier than I figured them to go.

Taking at look at the mocks I posted, DraftCountdown.com and I nailed seven picks perfectly.  WalterFootball.com got six right, Todd got five and Rotoworld.com pegged only three correct.  Please keep in mind that everyone KNEW that Andrew Luck and RG3 were headed to Indy and Washington respectively, so the a high score of six goes to show how ridiculous the entire mock draft concept really is.

As far as misses go, everyone whiffed on Bruce Irvin 15th to Seattle, Brandon Weeden 22nd to Cleveland, A.J. Jenkins 30th to San Fran, David Wilson to New York 32nd.  Frankly, Wilson is the only player that I considered deserving and worthy of a first round pick.

Additionally, WalterFootball.com mocked the best going 25/32 on first round picks.  Rotoworld.com, Todd and I went 24/32 and DraftCountdown.com went 23/32.

I would say that the worst mock draft whiffs were Rotoworld leaving out Dontari Poe (went 11th overall) and Todd leaving out Michael Brockers (14th overall).

I feel like I improved from last year even though I went 24/32 (went 26/32 in 2011), especially considering the high number of trades that occured this year (nine in the first round).

No comments:

Post a Comment